Great Adventure Update (5/20/20)
During this truly unparalleled time, we pray each of you are doing well and continuing to grow in your personal relationship with the Lord. We want to first thank you for volunteering to serve during the Great Adventure. Every year, thousands of children, students, and adults hear the good news of the Gospel because of people like you who are willing to serve. Plus, we will all grow spiritually in the process.
We want to let you know that over the past weeks our Great Adventure team and church leadership have been praying and asking God for direction regarding our summer Great Adventure opportunities. We have taken all available information into consideration to help us make the decision that is best for everyone – students, parents, children, our community, and every person involved in the Great Adventure. We have monitored both government and health agency recommendations, and our church’s leadership has been in communication with leading Texas officials as we all work to resume activities in a way that keeps people healthy and safe.
Ultimately, with all factors considered, we have made the extremely difficult decision to cancel all Great Adventure elements for this summer. This includes Boot Camp, Xtreme Adventure, Back Yard Bible Clubs, SummerFest, and GO Trips. Like you, we are so disappointed by this! All of us look forward to the summer and this Great Adventure that God invites us to join Him in.
We know you are saddened, as are we, and suspect you might have some questions. So, we want to help you understand a little of the “why” behind our decision. Why are we canceling Great Adventure? A few of the reasons…
- As Texas begins to reopen, we know there will continue to be restrictions on gatherings, such as physical distancing and limits on how many can gather in one place. These limitations are in place to help ensure people’s safety and health, but they would also make it nearly impossible to carry out summer activities.
- As Texas begins to reopen, we know many families will continue to have concerns about being in shared public places.
- We desire to resume activities both in the building and in the community as soon as we can, while working to adhere to all state guidelines and health recommendations. This requires a great amount of attention from our staff and church body.
There’s no replacing Great Adventure, but we KNOW God has a different growth adventure for each of us this summer!
- Children’s Ministry LOVES partnering with parents in their journey of developing their kids to know and love Jesus, so we will be resourcing you moms and dads (or grandmas and grandpas!) to have a SIMPLE yet FUN week of focused spiritual growth with your kids. Bible Club at Home will help you facilitate a great week in a short window each day that will help your kids take steps in their journey with Jesus, create a fun memory for your family, could easily include neighbor kids if that works for you, and will end with a Family Extreme Adventure guide for Saturday.
- Student Ministry can’t wait for an entirely different kind of summer of leadership development and growth for our students. We are creating a special space for our students to keep growing and thriving. We’ll start out the first week in June gathering virtually (Middle School on Wednesday nights and High School on Thursday nights) with more details to come on fresh leadership development and growth opportunities.
We all know this will be different, but we also know with even more certainty that God’s version of different is for our good and for the good of those we love on His behalf.
We hope we've been able to answer questions that you might have. Thank you for your continued prayers and support. We're here for you and hope to see you face-to-face soon!