Every Child Reading by the End of 3rd Grade
Serve as a Literacy Partner or Mentor
A few years ago, the church community asked city leaders what we could do to make a lasting impact in our city. The answer was simple: help fight illiteracy and school dropout rates. Last school year, more than 966 volunteer literacy partners and mentors served nine school districts across Central Texas, sitting down with elementary students each week for 30 minutes to read one-on-one. With the program growing rapidly and with more and more children in need of special attention, there’s a place for you to make a difference in a child’s life and education. Consider investing just 30 minutes a week in a school near you, and bless the life of a child.
Registration for the 2018-2019 school year is open now at Education-Connection.org. When you register, please choose a training session that corresponds with the school district you are serving in. The Leander and Round Rock ISD trainings are below for reference:
Leander ISD Literacy Partner Training
- Sept. 26, 11:00 am – 1:00 pm, HCBC Lakeline, Lunch served
- Sept. 29, 8:30 – 10:30 am, Life Church Leander, Breakfast served
- Oct. 3, 9:00 – 11:00 am, HCBC Lakeline, Breakfast served
Round Rock ISD Literacy Partner Training
- Sept. 29, 8:30 – 10:30 am, RR United Methodist Church, Breakfast served
- Oct. 1, 6:30 – 8:30 pm, Brushy Creek Commons, Dinner served
- Oct. 12, 8:30 – 10:30 am, RRISD Hopewell Admin Building, Breakfast served
Education Connection Video
Our mission is simple, straightforward, and achievable. We want every child to learn how to read by the end of 3rd grade. Hear from Literacy Partner coordinators and school administrators about the difference our volunteers can make in the life of a child.
Education Related Activities
Lean more about our additional education-related service opportunities.
LISD Backpack Attack
- HCBC, HCBC Leander, For the Children, and local businesses partner with LISD each year to provide school supplies and backpacks for economically disadvantaged elementary & middle school students. More info will be posted Summer 2018.
- Contact Community Impact Events Coordinator Sydney Rea to learn more.
Moms in Prayer
Moms in Prayer is an organization with a mission to impact children and schools worldwide for Christ by gathering mothers to pray. Pray for children of all ages, teachers, staff, and parents while providing support and encouragement for schools.
Specific volunteer need: Moms seeking to join in prayer.
Volunteer commitment: Varies, contact for details.
For more information or to get involved, email Cindy Sherman.
LISD Christmas Luncheon
- HCBC provides a Christmas appreciation lunch to Leander ISD Central Administration each year to foster our ongoing partnership with LISD and to invite them to our Christmas Eve services.
- Volunteer need: Host, greet, serve ice cream at event.
- Contact Community Impact Director Tom Laws to volunteer.