Every Child Reading by the End of 3rd Grade
Serve as a Literacy Partner or Mentor
A few years ago, the church community asked city leaders what we could do to make a lasting impact in our city. The answer was simple: help fight illiteracy and school dropout rates. Last school year, more than 966 volunteer literacy partners and mentors served nine school districts across Central Texas, sitting down with elementary students each week for 30 minutes to read one-on-one. With the program growing rapidly and with more and more children in need of special attention, there’s a place for you to make a difference in a child’s life and education. Consider investing just 30 minutes a week in a school near you, and bless the life of a child.
Due to Covid-19 and the response from the school districts, we will not be sending Literacy Partners into the schools for the 2020-21 school year.
New this year - Education Connection is in partnership with school district staff to create an online library of video recording of our volunteers as they read or talk about some of their favorite books. If you are interested in volunteering for a book recording, please email [email protected] to get more information or to sign up.
Other non-direct ways we want to encourage you to share the love of Christ in the schools this year include:
- Send an encouraging email to the principal, school coordinator, librarian, or teachers of students you have read with in previous years as a literacy partner. Let them know you are praying for them, and if they have specific staff or student needs, to let you know how our church and volunteers can help.
- Subscribe to your school district and school campus e-news so that you can best know how to pray for your school staff and students as well as find out about campus needs through the principal and PTA.
Education Connection Video
Our mission is simple, straightforward, and achievable. We want every child to learn how to read by the end of 3rd grade. Hear from Literacy Partner coordinators and school administrators about the difference our volunteers can make in the life of a child.
Education Related Activities
Learn more about our additional education-related service opportunities.
LISD Christmas Luncheon
- HCBC provides a Christmas appreciation lunch to Leander ISD Central Administration each December to foster our ongoing partnership with LISD and to invite them to our Christmas Eve services.
- Volunteer needs: Set up, host, greet, serve ice cream at event.
- More info will be posted Fall 2020.
- Contact Community Impact Events Coordinator [email protected] to volunteer.