7th - 12th Grade
Students are challenged to give their summer away to serve Christ. At Boot Camp, they learn valuable leadership skills and teamwork as they prepare to lead Back Yard Bible Clubs. We also have a chance to reach children and families from across the city by partnering with other churches in the Greater Austin community.
Who: Students (finishing 7th grade in June 2017 and above)
Mandatory Student Medical Release
When: June 18-23 (Students who attend Boot Camp are also committing to serve July 10-13 for Back Yard Bible Clubs)
Where: Callaway House dorm and locations throughout Central Austin
Want to be a volunteer?
It takes many volunteers working together to make Boot Camp a success in reaching our city for Christ. If you feel led to serve this summer, check out our serving opportunities below!
- Chaperones help keep students safe and on track throughout the week while they are busy moving from activity to activity.
- Drivers transport a team of students from the UT Callaway House to various Back Yard Bible Clubs throughout South Austin.
Sign up to be a Chaperone or Volunteer Sign up to be a Driver
Download BYBC 2017 Curriculum
Boot Camp FAQs
- How will you determine room assignments at Boot Camp?
- Students will be grouped into rooms by gender, age, and campus. If they aren’t able to be with kids from their campus, they’ll be with other students their age.
- Note: Students will never share a bed with a leader or be alone with a leader one on one. In addition, middle school students will not share rooms with high school students.
- What is the lodging accommodation like?
- Lodging is at The Callaway House Dorm by the UT Campus. Each room has a kitchenette, living space, bathroom/bathrooms and sleeps approx. 2-8 students per room, depending on the floor plan. Students room with students. Leaders room with leaders. To view the dorm and location, visit www.americancampus.com.
- What will the time at Boot Camp look like? Will other adults be around?
- Students spend their time training to lead BYBC’s during the day and lead BYBC’s in the evening throughout the South Austin area. Students will have free time during the day at the dorm. Chaperoned trips to CVS and local fast food restaurants are on a sign-up basis. Sign-up details are communicated to all students once we are at Boot Camp. Students should bring their own money for these trips.
- How will meals work?
- The Callaway House provides breakfast, lunch, and dinner on campus. We will also provide snacks in the evening. If your student has any food allergies or restrictions, please let us know as soon as possible.
- How can I ensure my child’s safety?
- Safety is one of our top priorities at Boot Camp. In addition to HCBC Student Ministry Staff, we’ll have adult chaperones 24-7, and several full time registered nurses.
- We have a strict policy with our leaders and students that students will never be allowed to venture off alone and will have a buddy system. All adult chaperones have had a recent cleared background check.
- What should my child bring to Boot Camp?
- A packing list will be sent out prior to Boot Camp, in addition to drop off time and details.
*All Students who register for Boot Camp are committing to BYBC’s during the week of July 10-13, 2017 as well.
This is what a day at Boot Camp looks like:
Schedule can vary due to splitting students into two groups. (A and B group)
8:30 am Breakfast
9:30 am Quiet Time
10:00 am Team Prayer & Share
10:45 am Practice
11:45 am Lunch
12:45 pm Walk to UACC for training
1:00 pm Training
2:15 pm Walk to Dorm
2:30 pm Free Time
4:30 pm Rally
4:45 pm Dinner
6:00 pm Meet Driver and Depart for BYBC’s
6:30 pm BYBC time
9:00 pm Worship and Teaching at UACC
10:30 pm Walk to Dorm/Snack
10:45 pm Head to Rooms
11:00 pm Lights Out