Every Child Reading by the End of 3rd Grade
Serve as a Literacy Partner or Mentor
A few years ago, the church community asked city leaders what we could do to make a lasting impact in our city. The answer was simple: help fight illiteracy and school dropout rates. Last school year, more than 966 volunteer literacy partners and mentors served nine school districts across Central Texas, sitting down with elementary students each week for 30 minutes to read one-on-one. With the program growing rapidly and with more and more children in need of special attention, there’s a place for you to make a difference in a child’s life and education. Consider investing just 30 minutes a week in a school near you, and bless the life of a child.
Registration for the 2019 spring semester is open now at Education-Connection.org. When you register, you will receive instructions for an online training session that will prepare you to begin serving as a Literacy Partner.
Education Connection Video
Our mission is simple, straightforward, and achievable. We want every child to learn how to read by the end of 3rd grade. Hear from Literacy Partner coordinators and school administrators about the difference our volunteers can make in the life of a child.
Education Related Activities
Lean more about our additional education-related service opportunities.
LISD Backpack Attack
- Hill Country Bible Church, HCBC Leander, For the Children, and local businesses partner with LISD each year to provide school supplies and backpacks for economically disadvantaged elementary & middle school students. More info will be posted Summer 2019.
- Contact Community Impact Events Coordinator Sydney Rea to learn more.
LISD Christmas Luncheon
- HCBC provides a Christmas appreciation lunch to Leander ISD Central Administration each December to foster our ongoing partnership with LISD and to invite them to our Christmas Eve services.
- Volunteer needs: Set up, host, greet, serve ice cream at event.
- Contact Community Impact Director Tom Laws to volunteer.